Friday, September 25, 2009

Epithalamium V

Coming down to the wire now. I think I'll have 4 players. Three of which have some D&D experience, but no old school play. One guy very familiar with 3.5 was all geared up to generate a character. I told him not to worry about it that we would do it on the spot. He was quite surprised.

Even if these guys were all familiar with Swords & Wizardry I wouldn't want them bringing characters pre-made because I realize how fun and ridiculous the process of rolling the dice in order and rolling up hirelings can be.

I found some short quotes around the internet about marriage. How's this: Imagine three archways passed under with three inscriptions
  • Marriage is the triumph of hope over experience (Samuel Johnson)
  • Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence (Oscar Wilde)
  • Marriage is the triumph of Mah-Kuss over another Bride!
That reminds me, I keep stumbling over whether this Mah-Kuss is the Unwed, having 665 brides for all enternity, but no wives, or whether he is The Great Husband, he of 665 Wives. So I decided that this would be a point of contention between two sects. I'm not sure how the conflict between these priests will come into play, perhaps an actual battle? One school (He is Ever a Groom but Never Wed) in green silk, the other (Each Bride Is Conquered as a Wife) blue silk.

This quote seems fruitful:
  • Never strike your wife - even with a flower. (Hindu Proverb)
Aha, my Deadly Distraction the Glass Golem. This could be a warning inscription. I'll just change the shape of the statue to that of a dancing woman.

Also, I can't believe I forgot that old chesnut: Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue. I think I'll include that as a puzzle, maybe statues of Mah-Kuss' brides will fit the bill.

I still need to type up & print out some rumor cards and the goals. I want to type up a list of titles for Mah-Kuss so I don't have to completely rely on improvisation.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! There is a lot of interesting and creative stuff here. It has been interesting watching you work through this. I'm looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks guys. I really like brainstorming with an audience. It seems to help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue. Wish I could be there...this sounds like a blast.

    ReplyDelete