Sunday, August 21, 2011

1925 aka Hell


1925 aka Hell (by Max Hattler) from Max Hattler on Vimeo.
An animation loop inspired by French outsider artist Augustin Lesage's 1925 work A Symbolic Composition of the Spiritual World:
Here is Lesage at work:
There is also a heaven.  Something about these reminded me of little netherwerks.  It really reminds me of the limits of language.  I'm not sure I could describe a passage like this to players.  I wish video game makers would focus more on this kind of thing than worrying about storylines.  If I lived closer to Cyclopeatron maybe I'd get to travel through this on a rickety, wooden, space-voyaging wizard's tower.

via Metafilter

3 comments:

  1. The mechanism seems almost like an M.C.Escher dungeon or something straight out of Hellraiser II

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments. That pic of Lesage makes me think of a madman capturing forbidden truths from beyond the stars.

    ReplyDelete